Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Momentary Distraction

So I got roped into trying out Sims Social. This also got me roped into finally getting a Facebook account, but that's beside the point.

It was a lot of fun for the first couple days. I've always preferred filling my towns with my friends' sims - they make much more interesting friends, mates, and torture-toys than anonymously-created townies. And the whole point of Sims Social is to make neighbors out of your friends, and then go visit them and then squeal about what you and they did together. In that respect, it captures one of my very favorite parts of the game.

However:

The item selection for sims and their homes is very limited. Without any colorization options, I quickly found myself smacking my head against the keyboard trying to find a look for my sim and my house that both matches itself and feels individual.

You live alone. You cannot invite your friends over. You can only go visit them one at a time. When your friends visit you, you don't get to see it in action. There are also no community lots. No parties. No moving in together. No breeding. You're either home alone or visiting a solitary friend.

The energy limit is stifling for long term play. With the cap and refresh rate being what they are, you get maybe ten minutes of play before you have to rest for over an hour.

There are four skills, and no careers. You make money by grinding one of these four skills or mowing your lawn. Grinding skills and mowing lawn takes up energy. There's also no death, no infidelity, no hilarious mishaps, and no moodlets.

Oh, and it's buggy, too.

Basically, once the "oo, shiny new!" luster faded, it's starting to get boring fast. The quests are pretty good at giving you something to do, but... meh.

I already have my friends' sims in my Sims 3 towns, and I'm enough of a nosy shutterbug that anyone who cares to know gets kept up to date on what's going on.

And if I want to watch Kali diddle around with Gabriel?  (And I'll confess:  I do)



Well, that also looks a lot nicer in the main game.

I really need to pick up their story again.  It was fun.  And it's still sitting on my desktop.  Taunting me.

Anyway, enough griping.  Have some more random:

Time travelling in her undies. M'yep.  But then, keeping Kali dressed in a game where woohoo is autonomous is generally a losing battle.



Word to the wise:  Don't skinnydip with kleptos.  Unless you want your clothes stolen.

Of course, with the look on Kali's face, she's probably saying "well, if you want me naked that much, dear, go right ahead..."



Did I mention story?  Because I totally mentioned story.

In the same story in which Kali and Gabriel are main characters, this girl has a prominent supporting role.  I was tweaking her the other day, and I am liking the results.

2 comments:

  1. I concur with everything you said. Plus I hate that I have to ask my friends for everything. :P

    I love your random pics. Always entertaining. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having to ask your friends for everything seems to be a very alienating move on their part.

    Answering a request is as easy as clicking a button, so I think you'd have to have some pretty jerk friends to take offense at said requests. But it does mean your ability to advance depends on 1: you having at least 5 or 6 friends playing the game, and 2: they're paying attention.

    I've had to put out a public request for paintbrushes twice now, and have only gotten one of the five I need so far.

    ReplyDelete